Wednesday 1 September 2010

Technophobe, moi? I Like the Pretty Lights...

Well, I thought it was high time I joined the good people of the 21st century by upgrading my phone to one of them new-fangled smartphone thingies. Now, I have a somewhat complicated relationship with technology in that I find it exciting, daunting and mesmerising in a gawping-Medieval-peasant-'Ooooooh, electrickery!' kind of way. There are people in the Amish community who have more technological nous than I. I sort of want to be really good with it and even perhaps secretly desire entry to the hallowed environs of Geekdom but my brain just isn't wired right (I've known colanders with fewer holes) and I have an almost OCD level of anxiety about 'pressing the wrong button' and bringing about the end of all civilisation.

Here's a very good example of my techno-idiocy: I don't know precisely how I did it but I somehow seem to be following myself on my own blog. I don't know if this is normal and I don't know how to make it stop. I fear I may have to see myself seeing myself in a terrifying mise en abyme for evermore.

So, considering this would be the first time I'd ever considered actually forking out for a mobile phone, I had to approach the task of choosing said device with the appropriate level of gravitas. Or...I could spend weeks mulling over the choices, read a million and one very in-depth techie reviews, nodding and grimacing along with things of which I have not even the dimmest comprehension, before plumping for one on a totally superficial basis. Thus, I'm awaiting the imminent arrival of a Samsung Galaxy. It felt nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment